- 3 chicken breasts or 4-6 chicken thighs
- 8 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1/3 cup white onion
- 12 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
For the Dumplings
- 1 3/4 cups GF Flour with Xanthan Gum (I recommend Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 in the blue bag!)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup nutpods original
- 1 tablespoon of melted butter or ghee
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Spray a baking sheet with olive oil and add chicken, topping with salt, pepper, and more olive oil spray. Bake at 350 degrees fahrenheit for about 45 minutes or until internal temp reaches 165 degrees fahrenheit (note that thighs may cook more quickly!)
- While chicken is baking, mix the dry dumpling ingredients: gf flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Add nutpods and melted butter until a dough forms evenly.
- Shred prepared chicken with forks and set aside.
- Melt butter or ghee in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, sauteing until translucent.
- Add arrowroot starch, salt, and pepper to form a roux.
- Add chicken and broth, bringing to a boil over medium high heat.
- Once the mixture has reached a rolling boil, use a small cookie scoop to drop dumplings into the boiling soup.
- Dumplings are done when they float (typically by the time you add the last dumpling, they’re done!)
We love to serve chicken and dumplings Cracker Barrel Style with glazed carrots, mashed potatoes if you wish. Our favorite dessert to top off this hearty fall meal is gf pumpkin roll! This recipe is simple, quick, and can quickly feed a crowd. Make it next time a loved one drops over, or prep it to have leftovers for your family.