People ask me all the time what they can make for friends or loved ones who are gluten free or have food allergies. I don’t always have good answers, but today I have a good recipe! Everyone loves a pan of delicious fudgey brownies. The babies are better and cheaper than boxed, and come together quickly. Since I’ve started playing with this recipe, a pan hasn’t lasted more than 24 hours in our house!
Whether it’s a small gathering or a potluck, this gluten free option will have lots of takers who may not necessarily be gluten free themselves…you might want to make two batches! These would be the perfect addition to any Easter table this weekend!
1 cup butter or ghee
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used Guittard 63% Cacao – my FAVE)
1/2 cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s 100% Cacao)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup gluten free 1-1 flour (my favorite is Bob’s Red Mill)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9×9 glass baking dish with parchment paper.
- Add butter/ghee and chocolate chips to a large microwave safe bowl. Heat for 1.5-2 minutes (keep an eye on it) until butter or ghee is melted and chips are soft.
- While butter and chips are still warm, whisk in cocoa powder until combined well. The heat helps bring out the flavor of the cocoa powder and “bloom” sort of like a coffee bloom when brewing pour over style coffee! Basically, it helps to bring out the best flavor of the cocoa powder.
- Whisk in sugar, vanilla, and eggs to the mixture. Be sure to whisk well – using the whisk aerates the batter and helps achieve the shiny and occasionally crinkly topping you often see in boxed brownies.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt using a wooden spoon or trusty spatula until combined well.
- Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish – it will seem less watery than normal brownie batter this is okay!!
- Bake for 40 minutes (if using a metal 9×9 pan, bake time will be shorter).
- Allow brownies to cool for 20-30 minutes or until completely cooled to allow them to set up a bit.
- Serve brownies on their own, in a sundae, or with your favorite chocolate friendly fruit!
Be sure to share your version of these brownies using #biteswithbeth or by tagging @Bethannsbites on Instagram! I love to see what you’re making. Most importantly, show up to your pitch-in meal with THESE babies to delight your GF friend! 🙂 They won’t disappoint and the clean-up is quick!